Leave a comment in this episode about how you plan to make your career better between Jan 18th and Jan 25th 2015 and one lucky winner will be selected to receive a FREE copy of John's How to Market YourSelf as a Software Developer course(worth $299.00)!
Soft Skills – The Software Developer’s Life Manual
Do you want to take your career (and life) to the next level? Discover how to make this your best year ever with John Sonmez, the author of Soft Skills: The software developer’s life manual. In this episode John, who I’ve dubbed “the hardest working developer in the software business”, shares with us his best tips for becoming a successful software developer/tester.
John Sonmez is a life coach for software developers, and helps software engineers, programmers, and other technical professionals boost their careers and live a more fulfilled life. He empowers them to accomplish their goals by making the complex simple.
John is also the founder of Simple Programmer . He has published over 50 courses on topics such as iOS, Android, .NET, Java, and game development for the online developer training resource Pluralsight. He is an outside consultant for themarketingheaven.com, hosts the Get Up and CODE podcast, where he talks about fitness for programmers , and the Entre-programmers podcast, where he and three other developers/entrepreneurs share their real stories of building their online businesses.
Quotes & Insights from this Test Talk
- If you want to be a better software developer—a better anything, really—you need to focus on the entire person, not just one or two areas of your life.
- Think about your software development career as a business, and start to think of an employer as a customer for your business of developing software.
- Learn how to hack the interview process
- There are many different mediums you can use to get your message out there, but one of the most prominent ones I recommend for software developers is a blog.
- Writing is an extremely valuable skill because it helps you to organize your thoughts.
- Pick some kind of niche and build your brand around it—the more specific the better.
- The key to being productive is being consistent – over time, small bricks put perfectly into place each day eventually build up a wall.
- Being well rounded is not a good way to market yourself – no one wants a generic product
- Leave a comment in this episode about how you plan to make your career better between Jan 18th and Jan 25th 2015 and one lucky winner will be selected to receive a FREE copy of John's How to Market YourSelf as a Software Developer course(worth $299.00)!
- Want to know the best way to increase your salary or hourly rate? Sign up for Johns free How to Build a Blog email course.
- Creating an Automated Testing Framework with Selenium Video Course
- Automated Testing with Selenium
- Secret to Ridiculous Productivity
- Want to learn the best way to boost your career? Check out John’s course –>How to Market Yourself as a Software Developer
- Book Review – Soft Skills: The Software Developer’s Life Manual
Connect with John
May I Ask You For a Favor?
Thanks again for listening to the show. If it has helped you in any way, shape or form, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Sponsored by Sauce Labs
Special offer for TestTalks listeners, get 20 hours of automated testing for free when you sign-up with promo code testtalks14 (more info).