Performance testing using LoadUI
In this episode we talk performance testing using LoadUI with SmartBear’s Paul Bruce. Paul not only covers performance testing using loadUI, but also shares his expert insight into performance testing along with some awesome performance testing best practices.
About Paul Bruce
Paul Bruce is a web performance engineer, seasoned software developer, technology consultant, permaculturalist, and family enthusiast.
He has worked as a solutions provider in non-profit higher education and a web applications architect in the health care industry. He has also consulted with small and medium size start-ups on technology related-issues, and currently works at SmartBear Software, specializing in both back-end and front-end web performance optimization.
Quotes & Insights from this Test Talk
- Test often –test early!
- Why the management team needs to know how to do performance testing
- The difference between API testing and traditional, web-based performance testing
- You need to make performance testing part of your CI efforts.
- Back-end vs. Front-end performance testing
- On an Agile team, one person should be the performance engineer – let them specialize in performance testing. If you get the right person involved, it will be much easier to implement a continuous performance strategy. In the long run this will save you time and money.
- Exploratory testing is not just for functional testing; it can also be applied to performance testing using real time performance functionality of loadUI.
- You need to monitor third party APIs.
- Be a lean forward tester who takes ownership of your own process and problems, and know the value of having the right tools for the job.
Books – Must Reads
- High performance web sites: Essentials Knowledge for Front-End Engineers
- Even Faster Web Sites: Performance Best Practices for Web Developers
- The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
- The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
- API Testing Dojo
- Web Performance Group Boston
- Velocity conference – demonstration of AletSite UXM interactive/performance testing
- AlertSite API monitoring
- Gluecon Conference – Cloud, DevOps, Mobile, APIs, Big Data — all of the converging, important trends in technology today share one thing in common: developers.
- Tableau -a business intelligence software that allows anyone to connect to data in a few clicks, then visualize and create interactive, sharable dashboards with a few more.
- HttpArchive – The HTTP Archive tracks how the Web is built.
Connect with Paul
May I Ask You For a Favor?
Thanks again for listening to the show. If it has helped you in any way, shape or form, please share it.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.